Buying the Best 100% Kona Coffee

The best Kona coffee costs a pretty penny, but it is sooo worth it. One sip in the morning transports you to the peaceful island of Hawaii where its beans are cultivated. But, how do you know it’s the real deal? Is it enough for the coffee package to say “Kona” coffee? What qualities ensure you picked the best?

Authentic Kona brews come from the Kona district of the Big Island of Hawaii. (Hint: If a brand lists any other source, don’t waste your time with even a sip. Keep looking.) The perfectly suited weather and fertile volcanic soil provide the unique growing conditions needed to produce these rare beans. But, how does the label help you choose the best Kona coffee?

Kona Coffee Terms to Look for

Look for these words on authentic Kona coffee packaging:

100 Percent

Labeling a product “Kona” requires only 10 percent of the product be actual Kona coffee beans. The other 90 percent consists of Arabica coffees from other countries, like Brazil or Colombia. While you might be tempted to save money (These brands charge less because it costs less to produce blends.), think about it. Does 10 percent of anything taste the same as 100 percent?

Labels reading “100 percent Kona coffee” give you the quality and taste you want. No filler beans get used in these grounds, giving you authentic Kona coffee in every cup. Plus, brands from Hawaii withstand tough Hawaiian law on coffee labeling. The authorities on the island want you to know what goes into your cup of Joe — no secrets.

Estate Grown or Single Origin

The “Estate Grown” or “Single Origin” label means the coffee beans grow, and get harvested and packaged on the same farm. This creates a consistent, smooth taste. And, the best Kona coffee comes to your door this way. Hand picked (steep volcano slopes allow for nothing less) to prevent bitterness, single-origin Kona gives you a quality product.

Remember the earlier hint: If the label does not mention beans grown in Hawaii, find another brand. Kona coffee grows on the slopes of the Hualalai or Mauna Loa volcano (the Kona district)— nowhere else. Coffee companies which try to convince you otherwise take your money for impostor Kona beans.

Sustainable

Great coffee gets better when sustainable practices produce it. Authentic Kona coffee companies harness the shade, sun and rain to grow thriving plants with minimal watering. Harvesting by hand eliminates the need for fossil fuel burning machines. And, washing the beans in rain water and drying them in the Hawaiian sun makes this an eco-friendly product.

Drinking a cup of this joe leaves no guilt for the resources used or questions as to the practices used to package it. Research the production of the brands you enjoy, finding out about their green farming. Then as you brew a pot, your mind rests knowing your choices make a difference to the planet and future generations — your taste buds offer no argument.

Award-Winning

A good competition raises the best to the top of the heap. “Award-winning” Kona coffee gives you another clue as to if you chose the real deal. Hawaii proves serious about its coffee — especially Kona coffee. Competitions (the State of Hawaii Cupping Contest, to name just one) and festivals offer plenty of opportunity for proving which beans earn kudos and applause.

Caution: Any slick marketer for any company can slap an attention-grabbing label on a package. Check into the awards won by the brand you drink. Email the company or Google a few competitions to see the names which rise to the top. Does their “award-winning” claim hold water? Or does it amount to a pile of beans?

Easy to Order Online

While the company might not list it on the label, easy online ordering delivers a hassle-free cup of coffee. It doesn’t matter how good the coffee tastes if you cannot get it. Smooth ordering processes and good customer service tells you a lot about a company’s coffee. The product should also arrive at your door vacuum sealed to maintain freshness.

Rarity and purity make Kona coffee impossible to find in the traditional grocery aisle. (Be wary of any you find. In fact, stop and put it back on the shelf.) Farmers’ markets and gourmet coffee shops may carry it. But, purchase with caution. Research the companies and vendors you buy from to ensure quality products, not scams.

Buying The Best Kona Coffee

Looking for keywords on a company’s website or product packaging give you clues as to its coffee’s authenticity. Do not settle for less than the best — your time and dollar beg for more respect. The best Kona coffee earns its way into your cup by backing its claims and living up to the standards set for Hawaiian coffee.

To get a cup of quality 100 percent Kona coffee (one that lives up to its claims), visit our online store today.